BunWat

Bun's Books

All the Single Ladies: Unmarried Women and the Rise of an Independent Nation
Rebecca Traister
Religion for Atheists: A Non-Believer's Guide to the Uses of Religion - Alain de Botton This one lost me over excessive use of the first person plural. I really liked the idea, of exploring what religions are useful for, what social, and emotional and spiritual purposes they serve and how those might be retained even if you're an unbeliever who can't bring herself to sign on to the spaghetti monster in the sky mythos. Cool interesting yes please I'd like very much to talk and think more about that!!

I even heard some interviews with him that sounded interesting so yay, I was looking forward to it.

But then I get all these mini essays that sort of glancingly touch on a topic here or there without actually getting to grips with any of them. And he says he's just batting about some ideas, so okay fair enough I guess, but then that's really not a book, is it? Its more like a blog or a column or an essay series eh? I'd like a book to add up to a bit more.

Mostly though I just became unendurably annoyed at being lectured about what "we" think, and what "we" feel, and hey Kimosabe, maybe you think that its comforting to know that you are a sinner so its okay if you mess up, or maybe you yearn for a father figure to lay down the law and tell you what to do, and maybe you find art ultimately unsatisfying or whatever else it is you feel. But I guess I'm not you because I don't. And every time you told me "we" feel thus and so, when "I" did not, I found myself more and more distanced, until I was distanced right out of any desire to participate further.

Which is a pity because I thought the topic idea was splendiferous.

So in the end I was left with, great idea, execution fell utterly flat for me.