BunWat

Bun's Books

All the Single Ladies: Unmarried Women and the Rise of an Independent Nation
Rebecca Traister
Dreamsnake - Vonda N. McIntyre If I had lived in the distant past I think I would have been a sucker for travellers tales. I would have loved reading the travels of Marco Polo, or Viking tales of dragons and skraelings or the songs of Odysseus and his journeys. There's something in my character that just rises to the idea of sailing over the horizon into the unknown and encountering, oh no one knows what we may encounter, its a world of unlimited possibility and danger.

But today's traveller's tales lack those limitless possibilities. I know what is on the other side of the ocean, and its interesting, don't get me wrong. Its exciting and there's lots to learn, but there's not much likelihood that the next thing to appear over the horizon is a completely unknown territory filled with blue flying creatures with jeweled eyes singing in harmony and swooping down to eat the mast of the ship.

Except in science fiction. There I truly don't know what I'm going to encounter next. It could be anything. Dreamsnake works for me because its a traveler's tale full of limitless possiblity and hard work and danger and loss, and courage and fear and death and love and people striving to behave honorably. Its there and back again and what we found there. With snakes.

It may be a little bit dated, it may be a little bit self concious about its strong heroine and its sexual acceptance, it was written in the 70's and sometimes it shows. Its still my kind of people having my kind of adventures.