BunWat

Bun's Books

All the Single Ladies: Unmarried Women and the Rise of an Independent Nation
Rebecca Traister
Dust and Shadow: An Account of the Ripper Killings by Dr. John H. Watson - Lyndsay Faye Fun, extremely readable, what if Holmes pursued the Ripper tale. I really liked the way she managed the task of writing a new adventure based on such well known antecedents.

There's enough fidelity to Conan Doyle's characters, tone, atmosphere to feel comfortable that you are dealing with someone who knows and respects the original. But its not a completely slavish imitation and that actually works for me. Writing as if it were still 1880 would be fun for the length of a short story, but I think it would wear pretty thin by the end of a novel. Neither Faye nor her readers are in fact Victorians - we bring different expectations to our reading.

Not to mention I can't imagine how on earth one would write about the crimes of the Ripper while still staying within the prescribed bounds of Victorian decency. Not sure that would be possible. But again, she walks the line well. The Ripper stuff is accurate and there's even a little in joke about Prince Victor which made me grin. All in all, recommended.